Monday 23 November 2009

On Top and Motivated

It has been quite a busy last two weeks with the start of two new assignments. The first task of which, I really wasn’t looking forward to. The concept of writing an article about a design icon seemed fairly interesting to me.


This was until I discovered my allocated icon to be The Beatles album cover, Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Heart Club Band. It didn’t look good as I had never seen this album cover in my life, and have strong opinions on how shocking their music is. I did, however, get a little more into the work, forgetting about my original views. It became an interesting task to review the history of a 'considered' icon and to discover how designs can be iconic.


Also this week we had to produce our full development for the Blacker Hall Farm rebuild. This was very stressful, as I like to spend a lot more time developing my ideas, creating neat and detailed drawings. I realised I would have to speed up in the process and realised that my final product wasn't of a great standard due to this. This has taught me a lesson though, and I need to learn how to develop quicker but with the same final production level.


The next task was to design for a random object. I knew many people would struggle but this has been very enjoyable for me as I thought it would be. I am still doing this now and ideas keep flowing and it has been a really good experience just to spend time being creative. I have learnt a lot about how to get my brain into a design mode, and not to dismiss ideas but draw anything that comes to your head.


Finally I have been learning a Content Management System (CMS) ; Wordpress. This has been a very draining experience to try and get my head around. Missing the tutorial day didn't help but I feel like I have caught up this week and am starting to get my head around the way it works.

Overall, I am happy with how these assignments are going. After an initial rush I feel like I am on top of my work but I know I can't be complacent and I need to well motivated from now on.

1 comment: