Thursday 17 September 2009

Self Managed Learning Plan - The Resource List

To conduct the learning of both PHP and MySQL I will be look at two different resource avenues. I first will be looking at some books, and after some routing around I found a selection of books that will supply me with a vast knowledge of these two languages. The other method I will be using for the learning of these languages is online tutorials and the analysis of online information. Here is the resource list for my SMLP.

1. PHP for the Web, Third Edition


This is a very highly rated book due to its simple step-by-step methods of teaching. It takes you through all the basics of the language and also through the more specific implications of it with visual screenshots to help throughout.

2. Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours, Third Edition


This book is a quick and easy way to learn how to create interactive websites. It is divided into 24 one-hour lessons over five sections making learning easy and aiding in myself learning. It covers the fundamentals of PHP and how to apply it to create dynamic websites with forms, cookies and authentication functions. You will also find out how to access databases.

3. www.w3schools.com

This website is one of my favourite resources for learning languages. I find it very easy to use and its tutorials take you step-by-step in all aspects of both PHP and MySQL. It provides you with sufficient examples to progress in your learning as you go through and is a great basis for the learning of these languages.

4. www.php.net

This is the definitive source for the latest PHP developments. This will be used to obtain my guidelines in the language, so that I can continue to produce valid PHP coding throughout my learning.

5. www.mysql.com

Similar to the previous website this will act as my guideline to the use of MySQL throughout my learning. As the definitive source for the language I will be able to check my learning against the information provided on here to verify its content.

6. www.tizag.com

This website is of a similar layout the w3schools which makes navigation easy. It has tutorials covering both languages in great detail. Here there is a specific tutorial on PHP / MySQL which is just what I need to discover how the two languages work alongside each other.

No comments: